School Uniform Dress Code
LAMS School Uniform Policy
REVIEW OUR UNIFORM POLICY BEFORE
PURCHASING SCHOOL CLOTHES FOR YOUR CHILD.
Lehigh Acres Middle School is a uniform school. All students must be in compliance with the LAMS Uniform Policy upon arrival at school and throughout the instructional day and shall maintain a clean, orderly appearance at all times. The responsibility for the personal appearance of the student rests with the parents or guardian. Repeated, purposeful violations of the LAMS Uniform Policy will be dealt with in accordance with the guidelines established in the Student Code of Conduct.
There are several reasons behind the establishment of our School Uniform Policy, including:
- Dress for Success - Many professionals wear uniforms in the workplace. Students in schools with an adopted uniform policy exhibit a more serious approach to attending school. The LAMS School Uniform Policy supports and enhances a positive environment where learning is a priority; helping students focus on the educational importance of the school day and the impact it has on present and future goals.
- Increased School Spirit – Uniforms build a sense of unity and pride in being part of the LAMS community.
- Improved Self-Image – Students no longer need to worry about designer labels and the effect they have on self-image or individuality.
- Positive Behavior – Research has shown a connection between student dress and behavior. Uniforms reduce distractions and discipline issues related to dress code by establishing clear guidelines for what students may wear and how they may wear it.
The following information establishes the minimum acceptable standards for student dress to be interpreted and enforced by the administration and staff at Lehigh Acres Middle School. The Administration reserves the right to disallow any fad or style that does not meet our dress code standard of expectations.
- Two (2) to Five (5) button Polo style collared shirts, long or short sleeved, in plain, solid colors. Only the top button on the Polo shirt may be worn open. No designs, logos or writing permitted.
- Only LAMS school logo & Academy logo Polo shirts are permitted.
- Club and activity shirts may only be worn on Fridays and must be purchased or received from our school.
- T-shirts from other schools, or clubs/activities outside of school are not permitted.
- All shirts must be tucked in at waist at all times. Shirts too short to remain tucked in are not permitted.
- All shirts worn under the uniform shirt must be white or of the same color as the Polo shirt.
- No Vests, pull over sweater vests or button shirts worn as a jacket permitted.
- School spirit shirts are to be worn on Fridays only.
- Uniform pants, shorts, (Docker or casual dress style), capris, skirts, skorts or jumpers, with no rivets, in khaki or navy blue only.
- Boy’s pants or shorts must have belt loops.
- Denim, jeans (or jean-like) cargo, carpenter, painter, corduroy, joggers, spandex, yoga pants, leggings, pajama bottoms, sweatpants, slits on the side and tied waist bands, jeans with holes, are NOT permitted.
- All bottoms must be worn at the natural waistline and must fit properly - not overly tight or baggy. A belt must be worn with pants or shorts at all times.
- No hip-hugger or low-rider styles are allowed.
- Skirts, skorts, shorts must extend to the knee or beyond.
- All bottoms must have a finished bottom, no cut or frayed edges.
- Sneakers or other closed-toe style shoes must be worn at all times.
- Open toes, open heels, flip-flops, bedroom slippers, shoes with wheels, or any other footwear considered unsafe are NOT appropriate for school. No shoes with extreme heels.
- No boots worn over the pant legs or pants tucked in shoes.
SOCKS – Knee high socks of any kind are not permitted. Quarter socks and ankle socks in solid colors may be worn.
JACKETS / COLD WEATHER WEAR
- SOLID COLOR plain sweaters or jackets with a zippered or buttoned front. These must be left open during school hours so the tucked uniform shirt and pants remain visible. No designs, logos or writing permitted.
- All jackets/cold weather wear must be appropriate in length and hang at the waist. The jacket must be worn appropriately and cannot be tied around waist or tied/draped over the shoulders. No long trench coats, etc.
- LAMS jackets purchased from school may be worn.
- Jackets or outerwear in violation of the LAMS Dress Code cannot be worn at any time on campus.
- Denim/jean jackets are not permitted.
HEADWEAR / HAIR
- Hats, headbands of any color, hoods, caps, bandanas, grooming combs, headgear, or sunglasses may NOT be worn during the school day.
- Hat or sunglasses may be worn for sun protection during outdoor PE time or other authorized outdoor activities.
- Extreme hairstyles or hair colors that are distracting or disruptive to the learning environment are NOT permitted. This includes cut designs and unnatural hair colors.
- The Administration reserves the right to disallow any style or color that does not meet our dress code standard of expectations.
- Belts are to be worn at all times
- Belts must be plain, solid color and unadorned (no studs or grommets)
- Buckles should not be oversized or display names, logos, flags, or other emblems.
- Lines/designs in eyebrows or hair are not allowed
- Articles of clothing, jewelry, accessories or adornments that could likely cause injury and or a distraction–such as chains, bracelets, rings, chokers with or without spikes, or studs–are prohibited.
- Necklaces of any kind should be worn under the shirt. Huge fashion jewelry is prohibited.
- Apparel, emblems, insignias, badges, or symbols that promote the use of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, illegal or gang-related activities are prohibited at all times while on school property.
- Adornments that, in the principal’s judgment could cause injury, be a safety risk or cause a disruption to the school environment may not be worn. Examples of prohibited adornments include, but are not limited to, hoops or rings attached to the nose, eyebrow, cheeks or lips.
- Tattoos are prohibited.